Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Discovery rolling out May 3 to Launch Pad 39A!





Discovery rolled into the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) on Saturday, where it was mated with the external tank and two solid rocket boosters. In this picture, Discovery is being lifted in the vertical position inside the VAB's transfer aisle, lowered into a high bay and joined with the tank and boosters atop the mobile launcher platform (MLP). Currently the Space Shuttle assembly is undergoing final checkouts before rolling out to Launch Pad 39A on May 3. I am actually scheduled to work on Saturday so I just might be able to get some good roll out photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I bet this view is a rush! Granted you work there and get to see angles like this regularly. However, I would be willing to bet that seeing the shuttle puts a large smile on your face.

I recently have applied for the astronaut candidate program (dossier sent) but have yet to finish all the subsequent forms. When I think of the chances of an interview, it really places of all my hard work into perspective. I also think of how everything in life happens for reasons. Some reasons unknown to me at the time but they always surface... I am sure you can relate.

Damaris, you are a cool girl who reminds me much of myself. If we both get interviews, let's go out to dinner for a celebration! If we both get selected we will have to think of something better to do albeit, riding the rocket would be reward enough...

Good luck and thanks for providing the outsiders (non NASA employees) with some phenomenal photos!

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

You're the best, Sabrina. :) Good luck since you applied..now finish all the rest of the documentation. I'm still tweaking my resume here and there.

Dima said...

Fascinating how many people work together to launch the shuttle.
Waiting on the pictures! :)