Thursday, May 28, 2009

Enjoying a Day in Sunny California

Today I did not have to go in to work because some orbiter operations were going on that were going to temporarily leave us without access for the day to work on the thermal protection system. I was able to take this day and rest up before we go back in and continue getting Atlantis ready!

I started off my day by doing some hiking at Devil's Punchbowl. The Punchbowl is a deep canyon cut by the runoff of large quantities of water from the higher San Gabriel Mountains occurring over a long period of time. These mountain peaks above the park are 8,000 feet in elevation while the Nature Center where I started from was at 4,740 feet above sea level.

After reaching the Devil's Punchbowl, I took the Devil's Chair Trail which took me to the eastern canyons of the park. In all, I hiked about 8 miles. My legs were so tired after 4 hours of walking, but the view was so worth it!




As if my hiking workout wasn't enough...I also visited Vasquez Rocks County Park to climb some rocks! The rock formations are part of the San Andreas Fault. Vasquez Rocks have been used innumerable times in motion pictures, various television series and in moving and still photography advertisements, and continue to be used today.




To finish off my day, I headed to Avenue G in Lancaster, Ca. to visit the Musical Road. A portion of the road is paved with grooves in it as to play the William Tell Overture. The idea is to use rumble strips to reproduce a song. The strips must be carefully placed (after doing some serious calculations) so that when a car drives over them, the driver (and passengers) will hear the music play. Check out my video below!





So at the end of the day, I am tired, sunburned, and ready to go to sleep and start an early day tomorrow. But man, I had an awesome day today.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Wow - sounds like you had way too much fun for one day! So get back to work. ;-)

Of course you'd get a trekkie responding to your blog with pix of the Vasquez Rocks. Captain Kirk fought the Gorn and Finigan in those hills and I think I recognize locations for a couple other episodes in your set as well. Oh, and Little Joe Cartright from Bonanza left his rifle up at the top of those hills too. I could go on, but that would just prove what a geek I am.....

Jim.