Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Boeing to ship Orion developmental heat shield to NASA

Advanced Network and Space Systems material and process engineer Elizabeth Chu inspects the Thermal Protection System Manufacturing Demonstration Unit developed for NASA’s Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle project. Advanced Systems was awarded a contract last year to develop a prototype heat shield to protect NASA astronauts from extreme heat during re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere upon returning from lunar and low-Earth-orbit missions. The work was performed at Boeing's facility in Huntington Beach, California.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its great to see progress on the next generation of space flight vehicles. This is being discussed some over at the Bad Astronomy website, too.

Go NASA!

Anonymous said...

Sure that is not a flying saucer?

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

As cool as it looks, I'm pretty sure it's not a flying saucer!

Anonymous said...

Yes. I've been starved of information for Orion! It kind of looks like brown shuttle tiles... But, I think they're ablative tiles.
Go NASA, indeed! I second the motion and continue.

Anonymous said...

No....I think I will go with "fly saucer". You probably work in Area 51, not KSC. You may be able to fool everyone else, but not me!

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

oh no! you've figured me out! :)