Saturday, January 05, 2008

Getting my resume ready for the astronaut application.....

Yesterday I updated my resume for the Astronaut Candidate Program. I have not submitted it yet because I have certain colleagues looking it over to give me feedback. I've already ordered my transcripts from Texas A&M, but I will wait until April when I finish my master's program to order the transcripts from Embry Riddle.

Next week I am going to proceed in the continuation of my research for grad school. I will basically begin to distribute my research questionnaire to get the general public's opinion on what they know about space exploration. Once I collect all my data, I will have to start analyzing the data and write the remaining chapters of the research.

I just got back from a good run. I think I am going to stick with running days of Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday. On my off days, I am doing more of a muscle target workout at the gym with my friend Nicole. For some time now, I have had a friend rave about how awesome fitday.com is. So starting today, I am giving it a shot. Fitday.com is a good way to log calories, exercise, and help you reach whatever weight goal you are trying for. I have to admit, the program is organized and set up pretty cool. My goal right now is to lose 13 lbs. by March and by using this program I can watch my trend and see how I stick to trying to reach this goal! Just try out tracking one day of eating using fitday.com. You'll get hooked, I promise.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much luck with your astronaut application.

About fitday.com: I don't know. I like to be fit, but I don't like to get repetitive strain injury from typing all I ate, where I exercised and doing al the metrics conversions.

I'll just stick with my goal: compensate being my private chef, by spinning and rowing in the gym.

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

marcel-jan, I just tried spinning about a month ago and fell in love with it!!

Anonymous said...

I started my training today for the Beat Damaris Race. I used walkjogrun to map my route. 2.5 miles was a struggle...

Anonymous said...

The great thing about spinning is the combination of music and exercise. And you can "spin to" almost any music as long as it has a beat. At the sportschool where I go to (Living Well in Gouda, the Netherlands) they've had 70's & 80's spinning and Xmas spinning. I even did a Spinnathon of 6 hours.

I also do row, which is, like spinning, rowing on music. It takes a couple of times to get the hang of the choreography. It's great for the muscles in arms and belly.

BrianShiro said...

Good luck with your astronaut application preparations. I'm doing the same and also have a blog, although not as focused as yours: brianshiro.blogspot.com

One thing I can't decide is whether to include NASA summer schools as Work Experience (b/c I was paid by NASA) or Job Related Training. What do you think?

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

Brian, here's what I would recommend in your situation. If you held a title, were paid, and worked on projects similar to a co-op or internship, I would put it under Work Experience. I would put something under Job Related Training if you took training courses or received some type of certification related to your job.

BrianShiro said...

Damaris, would you like to exchange astronaut application resumes? We could help each other proofread and strengthen the content. I certainly think the more eyes that read it before I send it off, the better. My email is brian.shiro@gmail.com.