Monday, April 21, 2008

Tomorrow is Earth Day!!!

Tomorrow is Earth Day and it is intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment. I took the recyclables bin out last night....I recycle paper at work....but I think I am going to start riding my bike around more. Today I started by biking to meet a friend at the park for some basketball instead of driving, but I am going to encourage myself to bike around to other places instead of driving.

The fight for a clean environment continues and you're invited to be a part of this history and a part of Earth Day. Do your part in helping the environment. Recycle! Did you really need that bag for that one item at the grocery store? Do you recycle paper at school or work? Could you ride your bike or walk instead of driving? There are a lot of informative sites to browse through to help you integrate a simple change in your lifestyle with little effort, resulting in a big impact on OUR environment. Here are just a few:

The Consumer's Handbook for Reducing Solid Waste

How to Celebrate Earth Day

Earth Day sites for Kids

Eco-friendly Beauty Products

Here are some quotes from some of our own heroes:

"You change because you see your life differently than when you live on the surface everyday. ... We are so involved in our own little lives and our own little concerns and problems. I don't think the average person realizes the global environment that we really live in. I certainly am more aware of how fragile our Earth is, and, frankly, I think that I care more about our Earth because of the experiences I've had traveling in space.'' -- Eileen Collins, first female Space Shuttle commander.

"If people can see Earth from up here, see it without those borders, see it without any differences in race or religion, they would have a completely different perspective. Because when you see it from that angle, you cannot think of your home or your country. All you can see is one Earth....'' -- Anousheh Ansari, Iranian-American space tourist who flew to the International Space Station.

"It gives you in an instant, just at a position 240,000 miles away from it, (an idea of) how insignificant we are, how fragile we are, and how fortunate we are to have a body that will allow us to enjoy the sky and the trees and the water ... It's something that many people take for granted when they're born and they grow up within the environment. But they don't realize what they have. And I didn't till I left it.'' -- Jim Lovell, Apollo 8 and 13.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you missed the best quote about seeing the earth from space. Russell Schweickhart's explanation was quoted by composer Kirke Mechem in a choral piece called "Island in Space". As I recall, the piece is musically centered around the phrase "The Earth is a whole; so beautiful, so small, and so fragile".

Maybe you can find the text online someplace. Anyway, it's an amazing description of the planet.

Dave said...

I would love to know where that photo is from. Did you take it? :-) Good luck with your mission.

Dave - Ireland